Parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne, Roman Catholic Diocese of Malolos

Parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne, Roman Catholic Diocese of Malolos
These are the parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne (Hagonoy, Calumpit and Paombong in Bulacan)

Friday, January 11, 2013

PAGTINGIN/OPINION: A Gracious Life: Personal Experiences

Sacerdotal ordination of Rev. Fr. Edward Cruz Pecson of Sta. Monica, Hagonoy, Bulacan. He is one of our late vocations who is now a priest of the Diocese of Malolos. Picture from Fr. Pecson.

     When I was in grade two in St. Anne’s Academy in Hagonoy, I was asked by our teacher to read the part of the priest in the mass when we were practicing for the First Communion. I was approached by an RVM (Religious of the Virgin Mary) sister and she told me that I will be a good priest someday. I knew that it was just words of encouragement yet it made a subtle impact on my psyche. That was the start of what would be my journey towards the priestly vocation.
    Before I entered the seminary nine years ago, no one in my family believed that I will last this long. They were totally opposed to my decision of not finishing college to pursue the priestly vocation which I still believe is my calling. My father said that I should be more sociable and meet some women and find myself a girlfriend. Someone even expressed that they should just let me experience seminary life and in less than a year, I will be the one who will decide to leave. They know that it is not easy to become a priest. The ten years of priestly formation must be unbearable for me. I love watching movies, playing computer games, going to malls and sleeping. All of which would be trimmed down once I am in the seminary. I did not like reading books, what more to study for ten long years to finish two courses (Philosophy and Theology) which I thought were not interesting when I was studying in college in Manila.
    All of these were difficult for me when I was starting. Especially when I feel that I am not an eloquent speaker and teacher which is an imperative skill for a priest. I tend to pity myself when I was comparing myself to my batchmates during my formation year. They were all good in many ways. On my part, I do not know anything about cleaning or cooking or anything about repairs. I was just a mere spectator when others are working. I tried to comprehend how things were done. In our home, someone will be doing such work for me.
    As time flew, I realized that I was very blessed in my vocation. We were seven when we started in Formation Year I. I was the only one left now. When we were in Formation Year II there were thirteen of us, and now there are only three of us still responding to the call to priestly vocation. I realized that everything that happened in my life plays a part in my formation to become a priest. It was only when I had my regency that I came to realize the connections of the small details in my life. My training when I was a young boy in Immaculate Conception School for Boys in Malolos was very significant in who I am today. Now, I am very thankful that they taught me how to obey without questions and to endure whatever decisions the formators will arrange for the seminarians. I learned to value prayers and instilled in me Christian virtues. Moreover, it was not difficult for me to adjust in a rigid formation and the absence of female company. Many of the seminarians found it hard to adjust in these terms, but I had no problem with these as I went through the process.
     When I transferred to another diocese, in Iba, Zambales four years ago, there was a doubt in my mind that I could have made a wrong decision. I was in Botolan, Zambales and I was doing nothing in the parish refectory; until the time when a calamity struck the town. According to the people, it was the worst disaster after the Mt. Pinatubo eruption. We labored tirelessly for the people. For three months, we visited different evacuation areas to give relief goods that we packed every morning after I finished my classes (I was a teacher) in the parochial school. I was kept busy during these times and I concerned myself with the parish and the parishioners. Even through these, the grace of God is overflowing in my life. I went out of the seminary to further form myself in the parish setting. Also, I taught Computer and Christian Living in a school in Iba. In teaching Computer, I realized the purpose of my three years of studying Information Science in San Beda College.
    I was a mediocre seminarian; and I can honestly say that there are many times that l feel that I am still mediocre. Sometimes I still doubt myself and my own abilities and skills. I have many experiences in my past which at first, I thought were just senseless. Yet, God has filled me with grace to pursue what I can still give to others and enlightened me in many ways to know what God has in stored for me. I am glad that I can give more than my one hundred percent to others. That’s what I learned from some of the priests that I worked with in the parishes I was assigned. Everything that I have is from God; I am His instrument to make others feel that they are loved and blessed by the loving God. That is the reason that I look at my life as my best representation of God’s grace to me. Everything that I experienced is part of an intricate plan weaved by God that can strengthen me wherever I am and whatever I do.   
About the Writer: Sem. Jeremey Manalaysay Granados hails from San Jose, Hagonoy, Bulacan. Due to his love for helping areas of grave need, he was incardinated to the Diocese of Iba (Zambales) where he is now assigned at Sta. Monica Parish in Botolan and the Ina Poong Bato Shrine also in Botolan, Zambales. He is in his third year of theological studies at the Immaculate Conception Major Seminary in Guiguinto, Bulacan and is a senior member of the Hagonoy Seminarians' Association (HASA).

Photo Courtesy: Rev. Fr. Edward Cruz Pecson (Kapatiran ng Kapariang Taga-Hagonoy, Inc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment