Parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne, Roman Catholic Diocese of Malolos

Parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne, Roman Catholic Diocese of Malolos
These are the parishes of the Vicariate of St. Anne (Hagonoy, Calumpit and Paombong in Bulacan)

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

PAGKILALA/TRIBUTE: INA, ALA-ALA, SALAMAT, In Honor of the 35th Anniversary of the Mother of Fr. Simplicio S. Sunpayco, S.J.



Editor's Note: This was a homily made by Rev. Fr. Simplicio Sangalang Sunpayco, S.J. for the 35th anniversary of the passing of his mother, whom she calls “Inang” or simply “Dada.” We maintained the original bold letters and underlines in respect of the author's style but changed all Filipino expressions in italics for formality. The conversations were also edited in a manner comfortable for the reader to view. This article shall only include some of the special moments from Inang's life, some details were removed for the sake of privacy.

2012 January 16 | Monday,
Sacred Heart Novitiate, Novaliches, Quezon City

Today we commemorate the 35th anniversary of Inang’s return to our Father in heaven. I made it a point to invite her to join our community Mass this morning. I am sure in that Mass she was happy to speak to the Lord for all of us who love her and whom she loved while she was with us here on earth, but now with more affection and concern that she is already enjoying eternal peace and joy at our true home in Heaven with God.


1977 January 16 | Sunday,
Mercado, Hagonoy, Bulacan

   It was Saturday evening when Babyling traced me at the Ateneo de Davao:

Tio Pisiong; Dada’s condition is not good at all. She lost lots of blood, hemorrhaging from old stomach ulcers. They were with her years ago but with her ‘allergy to hospitals that might bring her away from home we were resigned to giving her herbal medications. Somehow she got well. Yesterday Dr. Rufino Crisostomo said Inang has to be given intravenous dextrose feeding and medications. He instructed Tiya Bibay how to change the bags. He left three of them. To people around here “nilagyan na ng suero” conveys an alarming condition. We suggest you come home fast.”

A lovely picture of "Dada", Fr. Sim's mother during her earlier years when Fr. Sim was already a priest.
My scheduled return to Manila was still on Wednesday. Afraid to take a chance on not reaching Inang alive, I decided to have my ticket to Cagayan de Oro changed for Manila early in the morning. Upon my arrival at our Jesuit residence in Sta. Ana I phoned home: Inang is asleep, resting. With that news I relaxed a bit, made some phone calls and then took the bus to Hagonoy, even stopping by Barasoain to make sure Virgilio knew Inang’s situation. I was at her bedside by 4:00.

   Holding her hand: Inang, kumusta ka? Ano pakiramdam ninyo? BUO KONG KATAWAN NANGHIHINA. MAGMISA KA NA. Sandali lang Inang nagpahiram pa ako ng Santo Oleo sa kumbento. Mahina ka noong magpa-Pasko. Lumakas ka pagkatapos tanggapin mo ang Sakramento ng Maysakit. Ngayon hindi maganda ang lagay mo. Papahiran uli kita.

   The Holy Oil arrived with a Latin ritual book. I translated roughly the prayers into Tagalog, integrating the Anointing with the Mass for a sick person. At Communion time: Inang, special ang pakikinabang mo ngayon, tawag ay VIATICUM, para sa iyo kahulugan ay ngayo’t patungo ka sa Diyos ALALAY AT KASAMA MO ANG PANGINOON. Itinaas ang isang kamay: pinahinto ako.

   Obviously getting weaker, almost in a whisper: KAYA NGA NAGDARASAL AKO ARAW AT GABI AT NANG PAGDATING NIYA’Y MATAGPUAN NIYA AKONG KARAPATDAPAT.

   I could feel hair on my arms on edge, and crying like the 20 people around her bed: Inang karapatdapat ka na.

   I dip a host in the chalice and said: Tanggapin mo ang Panginoon sa alak, sa akin Siya sa Tinapay.

   She had another consolation at the end of the Mass: Inang, ibibigay ko sa iyo ngayon ang “bendisyon galing sa Sto. Papa” [Papal blessing] upang mapawi ang lahat ng utang dahil sa kasalanan. Derecho sa Langit ang tumatanggap nito.

   I said: Inang, sumaiyo ang Panginoon.

   She fell asleep after responding: AT SA IYO RIN.

   We concluded the Mass and just outside the door we talked in low voices on what to do . . . . Perhaps Inang may not even last the night.

   But then in a louder voice than a while ago she began giving a series of reminders: BIBAY, AYUSIN MO ANG TUTULUGAN NG PARI.

   Nakita si Luz at Fe:

   LUZ UMUWI NA KAYO, SINO MAGSASAING PARA KAY PANIO. SABIHIN NINYO KAY LITO who had just gone out of the room:

    INGATAN NIYA ANG PALAISDAAN, BANTAY LANG SIYA HINDI SA KANYA IYON. Lumapit si Turing: TURING, KUMUSTA ANG KA MELY, NAOPERAHAN DAW.

   Many visitors were coming, kissing her hand, or perhaps saying good-bye in silence. She did not look like to be in agony to me.

   I decided to leave for a while to say “thank you” to Dr. Crisostomo and to Fr. Nonoy Gregorio.

   In Inang’s last moments I was out. I was told...

   Last to visit was Dr. Romulo Domingo, a dentist-friend. He sat beside Inang on her bed. He was feeling her pulse. He said: Nana Isiang, bakit humihina na yata ang pulso mo!

   She then said: DOKTOR, MAMAMATAY NA BA AKO? As if she wanted to spit out something [could be hemorraghing].

   Oscar helped her to sit up: Iluwa mo Dada. She was already breathing her last!

    Then as if on cue, Brown Out! Darkness! It was 7:00 p.m. Sunday, January, 1977, Inang was 92 years old.

    Ate Ina was in the kitchen, to Ate Bibay: “Kukuha ka lang ng kandila bakit ka umiiyak?

   Then she said, “Ate Ina, Ang Inang. . .“Prayers for the Dying.”

    Her children already at home just turned their back as it were and they also missed the moment! Inang was in a great hurry to go home!

   I was at the parish kumbento with some Bulakenyo priests. Oscar came to fetch me: Tio Pisiong, patay na ang Dada!

  When we returned home, we joined those praying: Ikalawang mysterio sa luwalhati: Pag-akyat ni Hesus sa Langit.

Tatang’s Asthma, Inang’s Puto/Kutsinta: Family Heroic Sacrifices

Tatang (Bataan’s for Bulacan’s Amang) was an itinerant salesman. He courted and married my mother at the small fishing village in Pilar, Bataan. After the birth of Ate Juling, fifth of the family, they transferred to Mercado in Hagonoy where Ate Bibay and the four of us boys were born. Eming and I were still in the primary grades when Tatang’s asthma became really bad. Not only could he no longer earn a living: depleted also whatever savings they had. Inang tenderly and selflessly cared for him until he died in 1942, age 54.

My mother began her puto, kutsinta, business. She would attend the daily 4:00 am Mass in the Church of Sta. Ana, pass by the market to shop for the ingredients, preparing them the whole day, grinding the rice turning manually the stone contraption, steaming the ingredients over a home-made mud oven, selling them in the afternoon. When the grinding process improved with a bigger grinder, moved in circle with ropes tied from the upstairs floor, cousins and nephews would come combining grinding and fun with the ‘merry-go-round’. Production and sales increased but so also the share of her grandchildren who for helping in the grinding were rewarded with small pieces of the cake side cuttings which were not with the regular cut for sale – ‘retazos’!

The real big expense was for Tatang’s medicines. They were becoming more and more expensive and when the war broke out, difficult also to find. On their own our elders stopped schooling, the girls went to sewing and embroidery, Kuya Lito and Panio went fishing and did odd jobs in fishponds. Eming and I ran errands, helped too in selling the delicacies. We also were taught and were assigned by turn to do kitchen chores. One day it was my turn to cook and serve the corn porridge we had for lunch: one bowl, small or big each. When Kuya Lito finished his, he inquired if he could have some more. Inang gave him her share. Kuya didn’t want to take it:

Wala ka na Inang, he said.

   She then said, MAYROON PA SA KUSINA: skipping her lunch for a son who was obviously still hungry after digging dikes in the fishpond. I knew all we had I had placed on the table.

What schooling did Inang finish? She could read and write, always mentally alert. During Lent she was chanting from memory their current version of the “Pasyon” which included not only the sufferings and death of Christ but also selections from the Old and New Testament. Audio tape-recorded her singing of the ditty, the Symphony of the Fishes and interviewed her about her memory of events at the turn of the century: La Ignaciana burned down in 1994, reduced to ashes with it were my office and the tapes .

Her piety and the family “ORACION”

Taken during Fr. Sim's profession of vows, August 15, 1948 in Quezon City where the Jesuits have taken up residence.
At home at 6:00 in the evening Inang gathered everybody before the family altar at the sala. Time for the ORACION, Angelus, followed by five decades of the Rosary. Squatting on the floor I was asleep or half asleep most of the time. The daily Oracion and listening to Inang’s chanting of the Pasyon and the Salvation History introduced me to my basic catechism. During Lent Popular Missions were organized. In the morning, R.V.M. (Religious of the Virgin Mary) Sisters were reading what much later I recognized as selected meditations from the Santos Ejercisios of San Ignacio de Loyola, climaxed in the afternoon by the “Hell and Heaven” sermons of the heavily accented Australian and Irish Redemptorists or by the more eloquent Tagalog preachers.

Inang’s three requests for her Funeral

Leaving the women to wash and prepare the body for the coffin, Kuya Inte borrowed Tata Luis' Jeep and we went to town to arrange for a coffin and the embalming. We proceeded to Malolos to make long distance phone calls to Jesuit Houses and to relatives. We told those in Manila: No need to travel that night. They can come in the morning. The grandchildren could not be stopped. They came to be near their Inang DADA. When Inang’s Body was already in the coffin attired with her “del Carmen” (She was a Third Order Carmelite) and everybody looked for space to sleep on the floor. I slept in the bed where she breathed her last.

The family decided on a three day wake at the Mercado chapel. We made sure we honor Inang’s three expressed wishes for her funeral.

1ST: GUSTO KO SIMPLE LANG, PAGTAGPIIN LANG NINYO ANG PLYWOOD PARA SA KABAONG KO.

Ours was a family whose wealth was in friends and humor. Inang, there will be enough of the usual funeral contribution to buy for you a decent coffin. We don’t have to pick you up from the street if something happens to your plywood coffin!

2ND: ANAK MAGBIHIS PARI KA PAGBENDISYON MO SA AKIN. HINDI KATULAD NANG PAG NAGMIMISA KA SA BAHAY, WALA KANG SUTANA PARA KANG SUMAN TALOP NA TALOP, AT, PALAGING NAKAUPO, MUKHANG PAGOD NA PAGOD.

When I celebrated Mass for the family with her on Christmas I borrowed the best vestments in our La Ignaciana Chapel for Inang’s approval.

She said: ANG GANDA, SAAN MO KINUHA IYAN?

3RD.GUSTO KONG MALAGAY SA DYARYO PAGKAMATAY KO.

I said: Inang sikat kagaya ni Nora Aunor? MARAMI TAYONG MGA KAIBIGANG PARI, PAGNABASA NILANG PATAY NA AKO IPAGMIMISA NILA ANG AKING KALULUWA. AT ANG MGA MADRE NA MADALAS DITO SA ATIN. MALAKAS SA LANGIT ANG KANILANG DASAL. Her obituary in the newspaper was entrusted to Virgilio.

Because of the simple and friendly atmosphere they felt with my family, our little home was often the gathering station of priests and nuns. Perhaps an added attraction was the delicious cooking of Inang and many of my siblings including Panio. During the 1972 month-long flooding of Central Luzon (I was based in Davao with my pioneering Mindanao – Sulu Pastoral Conference [MSPC] activities, and also coping with a long dry spell in the South, the madres at the end of a day’s relief-giving ministry would rest at home with something extra for Inang. Some favoritism!

A nun, close family friend said: Where did your Inang get the idea na malakas sa langit ang aming dasal. Hindi na nga yata kami nagdarasal.

A Comment on Priests: Going to her son for Confession

1965 – From Siay as its first resident pastor 1963-65 in the reorganization of the Mission district I took over our old parish of Kabasalan. The sudden changes delayed my annual trip to Manila for my retreat, visit home, begging and some rest. When I arrived at La Ignaciana I was told your Mother had sent your sister to inquire about your whereabouts.

 Feigning being embarrassed: “Inang. Nagpapadala naman ako sa iyo ng telegrama kung Pasko at sa kaarawan ko, (nagpapasalamat katumbas ng bilang ng aking edad) Nakakahiya sa kapwa ko Hesuita na parang napabayaan ko na ang pamilya ko. Kung alam lang ninyo kung gaano kahirap magsimula sa isang parokya.

   She said: IYAN ANG HIRAP SA INYONG MGA PARI. WALA KAYONG ANAK. HINDI NINYO ALAM KUNG PAPAANO NAG-AALALA SA INYO ANG INYONG MGA MAGULANG. He said, Okay Inang, suko na ako.

1968 – I had arrived from Mindanao when Ate Juling came from school, murmuring. I said, What’s the matter?

   She said: I passed by the church to ask our priest to hear my confession. He postponed it: saying, tomorrow. I told him with my eight children and teaching load this afternoon was when I could make my confession.

   Then I said: You really want it this afternoon.

   She replied: Yes, tomorrow is the anniversary of our family’s Consecration to the Sacred Heart, and your Mass is at 7:00.

   I told her: You have your own priest, why look for another, half in jest I told her.

   Then she said: Which confessional will you use?...

   I did not anticipate this, nor relish the thought of hearing the confessions of my family. Now I have compromised myself and so told her: the one near the door to the convent. They came one by one. Kuya Lito even choosing to kneel not at the side behind the screen but in front of the priest, as some men sometimes do. After him an old woman came covering her mouth with her shawl, their practice. Some of them also recited the act of contrition and another prayer after the absolution.

   I told her: Alas sieste na po. Hindi po ako tagarito, baka magalit ang inyong pari kung huli ako sa Misa. Doon na po sa harap ng altar ninyo tapusin ang inyong dasal.

   It was during the Mass that it dawned on me; that old woman: Could she be my own Mother?

  I looked for Ate Bibay after Mass: Ang Inang ba ay nagkumpisal sa akin. OO, at inaapura mo po raw siya.

   What faith! To her son who among the boys used to get most of her scolding and a taste of the flat bamboo stick reserved for the seat of our pants while prostrate on the floor, she made her confession. That experience I would share later in my Cursillo rollo on the Sacraments. I was told it was instrumental in helping some some Cursillistas to return to the Sacrament.

The Family’s goodness: My Rescue from being a ‘Stray Shepherd’

   Yes, I should be better. But if not for my mother's heroic faith and the goodness of my family, siblings and nephews and nieces, and their love for me, I could have been worse. I would now be a deplorable Stray Shepherd.

   Eming, for example, our youngest: for being the ‘bunso’ and obedient, was Tatang’s favorite and I was jealous. A number of times the ‘wack-wack’ on my bottom was because I made him cry. When I entered the seminary I realized this and wrote him asking for forgiveness for being a bully.

   His reply: I don’t remember anything. Let bygones be bygone. We parted ways as teenagers when I entered the seminary. I was already in Woodstock College for theology when he told me he wanted to marry Nena Paradela, (from the town of Pilar in the Camotes Islands, Cebu,) also a nurse and partner in the BCG team giving vaccination in remote barrios in the Visayas.

   He said his wish was to have a family with six children coming one after the other so they could play together. On my part I suggested names that were short and nice to hear, those with liquid consonants (all approved by Eming and Nena: Gil, Elinor, Audry, Roy, Leo, and Joan. Its not like Simplicio or Herminigildo taken by our grandmother from the calendar after the day’s saint). Eming was sent to the University of the Philippines for administrative training. Afterwards he worked from an office, but it was at this time there that he got his fatal sickness: Jaundice? Hepatitis? Perhaps B which was not yet treated those years.

   After some Jesuit meetings in Manila I was returning to the Jesuit Mission District in Zamboanga del Sur. To be with him in his sickness I stayed in Cebu for more than a week. We had him transferred from the government hospital he had chosen for the discount to the Perpetual Succour Hospital of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres. For the first time, the two us could talk to each other as adults. I was impressed by his sincerity and maturity. I asked two more doctors to review his condition – progressively feeling weaker. Nothing could be done in Manila that was not being done in Cebu, they concluded. I had to return to my duties as Mission District Superior.

   Two days after my arrival, telegrams came: from Nena in the morning; Eming’s condition is turning for the worse. To myself, I fear what the next will say. It came in the afternoon, from Dr. Borromeo, the attending physician. Your brother has just expired. It was July 7, 1969. Eming was 38 years old. (His eldest, Gil was 10, the youngest, Joan, the sixth was 4 months.)

   I phoned Ate Juling in Mercado. Inang was disconsolate, but she was not strong enough to travel to Cebu and to Camotes Island. Ate Bibay, Kuya Inte and she would be coming. Mr. Tirso Ferrer and family our close friends in Cebu assisted Nena to prepare for the burial in Camotes Island. The three from Hagonoy and I followed. Eming had a three bedroom house built (he was proud of the home for his family and was planning to bring me there to see it.

   There was some kind of necrological services during the funeral Mass prepared by the Dutch pastor by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. He and the municipal judge and the Mayor of this little island municipality of ten thousand people spoke to give tribute to Eming for being a loving husband and a devoted father of his children.

   Three days after the funeral I went to Hagonoy to console my Mother.

I said: Inang, ang bait pala ng iyong bunso, Pinuri si Eming noong Mayor, ng kanilang pari, noong Huwes, uliran daw na asawa at ama. Kaya siguro namatay na bata pa at 38. Ako hindi mabait, buhay pa.

   Her worry was for her six orphaned grandchildren. Five years later Nena was asking our permission if she could remarry. Of course she could, we assured her. We respected her freedom, but Inang began to worry about what kind of stepfather the husband would be. Being District Superior and Consultor of the Jesuit Provincial, those years I was commuting from Zamboanga to Manila and back once a month. I made it a point to visit the children in Cebu and Inang in Hagonoy as often as duties allowed. I told Inang: Eddy, the stepfather was Nena’s third cousin, already a Tiyo of the children and younger than Nene by 10 years only half in jest described himself as the eldest among the children in the family. I periodically visited them even in the Camotes. Eming left two hectares planted with coconut. With whatever income that gave and with her salary Nena raised the six kids. All of them finished their schooling.

Inang’s Three-day Wake/Vigil.

  The three-day wake was a fitting celebration of Inang’s strong faith and fidelity to her religious devotions. Every evening till dawn newly formed Kris-Ka units (Kristiyanong Kapitbahayan – Chrisitian Neighborhood Communities) had their bible/prayer sharing sessions. The whole day different groups from the other barrios came to recite and sing their devotions.

   Every evening I celebrated Mass where those who, so many we had to limit their number, knew her gave testimony to their personal experience of Inang’s goodness and virtues.

Fr. Francisco San Diego (bishop-to-be of Palawan) who had Panio as his chief sacristan and confidant, was very close to his family, at times driving for Susan and Adela. He came early from his Guadalupe parish Monday morning, offered Mass for Inang at home before we transferred the Body to the Mercado chapel.

The year before the three Bishops of Bulacan and all their priests asked me to facilitate their annual retreat. They were in three groups in three different venues and schedules. The retreats were geared to their plan to adopt the Christian Community programs in Mindanao. After the three retreats the diocese in one general assembly adopted that pastoral thrust. The Kris-Ka units and bible and prayer sharing sessions in my Mother’s wake were offshoots of those pastoral discussion and planning.

   At Tuesday afternoon Bishop Cirilo Almario, Jr. came from Malolos without notice and wanted to offer Mass for Inang. Ate Juling, principal of the neighboring primary school to which at her request she was transferred from an elementary school to be nearer to Inang, asked the children to attend and sing at the bishop's Mass.

   Several Bulacan diocesan priests came to concelebrate with Jesuits from Manila. Two of the priests suggested that they offer Mass at the Mercado chapel after lunch before the funeral procession to Parish Church of Sta. Ana at Poblacion, 2 kilometers away.

Grand Funeral Procession and Mass for a ‘Magpuputo’

   It was a hot and crowded procession. Not only were the many friends of my sisters and nieces that swelled the number of those bearing up with the heat but I think it was the subtle reputation of the goodness of a person that attracted many to accompany my mother to her final resting place. Onlookers observing the big procession with cars from different places said: they must be burying a rich person. Little did they know that this grand funeral procession was for a “magpuputo” Even with the delicious reputation of her kutsinta the family remained poor because her priority was friends and not money.

   I was the principal celebrant at the Mass concelebrated with 29 priests, diocesan and Jesuits from Manila. Some Jesuit scholastics mingled with Religious Sisters in the congregation that filled Sta. Ana Parish Church. Cousin Jaime was the Mass commentator. The parish choir sang the PAPURI SA DIYOS in Mass of Our Lord’s Resurrection. They were conscious of Fr. Hontiveros being a concelebrant so they said they sang his compositions with more gusto. My homily combined tears and humor.

   There is a family group picture taken in the sanctuary before Inang’s Body was brought to its final resting place. I counted present were 40 of Inang’s children, grand and great grandchildren. That night after the funeral, our family sharing a late merienda were also sharing their own experiences of Inang.

   After a while I left them to be alone with my thoughts. I went out and in the empty street and I looked up at the stars. Lord, our Inang is now with you. Salamat for all the graces you gifted her with for 92 years, and us thru her.

INANG, NGAYON AT NANDIRIYAN NA IKAW KASAMA NG ATING AMA SA LANGIT, HUWAG MONG TUTULUTAN NA AKING MAKALIMUTAN ANG MGA IPINAMANA MO SA AKIN AT SA AKING PAGKAPARI; PAGMAMAHAL SA DIYOS AT PAGLILINGKOD SA MGA TAONG ITINAGUBILIN NIYA NA AKING MAHALIN AT PAGLINGKURAN!

Photo Courtesy: Rev. Fr. Simplicio Sangalang Sunpayco, S.J. (Personal Archives)


Page 5 of 6
Please press Older Posts for Page 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment